Monday, February 20, 2006

A Two Hour Shopping Trip
Wanted to buy some crocodile clips for a new project of mine.
So I went to Sim Lim Tower in search of some OEM crocodile clips.
There's one shop where they sell a bunch of wires with these clips on both ends.
They're $3 for 10 wires, that's 20 crocodile clips.
But I don't need these wires and removing them from the clip would be a hassle.
I asked the auntie if she's selling any of these crocodile clips alone.
She said: No, they only come with the wires.

So I walked around and found a shop which sells just the clips alone and also with some kinda rubber sheath around the clip. They're $1 for 8 clips. They come in black, red, blue, green, yellow and white. So I picked out 24 of these. 12 reds and 12 blacks.



I didn't believe that the previous shop doesn't have these kinda clips, so I went back in and not surprisingly, I saw a bunch of these clips. But they ain't cheap, 20cents each......what a rip off!!

Another objective of today's short shopping trip was to get a flourescent light for use when taking indoor pictures at night.
As recommended by Cow, there's a shop in his neighbourhood that sells a variety of flourescent lighting. And they're supposedly cheap too.
I found it and was greeted by a friendly Indian fella. He asked me what I was looking for...I told him...he recommended me one...I liked it...and we began to test it to see if it's functioning properly.
It is a 2 feet long lamp @ $19. There's also a 3 feet one @ $21.

When he plugged it in and switched it on, it didn't work.
He removed the translucent casing off the lamp, fiddled with the insides and then he tried again.
This time it worked.
He was quite happy and proud of himself.
But that's when his troubles came. He can't seem to fit back the casing back onto the lamp.
He was sliding, slotting and snapping the casing back against the unit.
Then I heard a crack sound. He still couldn't get it on.
Then I asked him to get me another one because this one is damaged.
He came back and told me that that was the last piece and he got me a more expensive one(probably because it's packaging).
I said I'd prefer the 3 feet one instead because it's cheaper than this 2 feet & more expensive one.
He went looking for the 3 feet one and came back shortly.
He tested it and this time it worked perfectly without him having to remove the casing.
He heaved a sigh of relief. As did I.

When I got home, I plugged it in and upon inspection......I found this......

It's not a crack......it looks like it has been scarred by a hot soldering iron.
Now I'm begining to think that they're selling these physically defective goods at cheap prices.
Because now that I think of it, the 'crack' that I saw on that final piece of 2 feet lamp looked similar to this defect.

2 Comments:

At February 21, 2006 1:27 PM, Blogger WILLIAM TAN said...

You need to check every purchase and not compromise on that. Anyway, you ought to do your safety checks and certify it Nexusafe.

 
At February 21, 2006 4:46 PM, Blogger Laurens said...

"It Ain't Safe Unless It's Nexusafe"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home